Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spaghetti with Sausage and Simple Tomato Sauce

I have for you today a family pleasing dinner.  A very easy sauce to make that was so fresh and flavorful.  The addition of sliced sausage, fresh basil and parmesan cheese makes this a delicious spaghetti dish. 

This recipe is featured on the recent edition (April 2010) of Cooking Light's magazine cover.  I doubled the recipe and I had about 3 cups of sauce left over that I froze for another meal.  The leftover sauce will be perfect to use for a quick weeknight meal over some penne pasta, for example.  Or it would be a great sauce to use for a baked ziti.  I will definitely be making this spaghetti again. 


Note:  When I doubled the recipe, I also doubled the red pepper flakes to 1 tsp.  The sauce is on the spicy side which we like but if you don't like spicy food then I would reduce the amount of red pepper flakes you use.       



Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  This recipe calls for Hot Italian Turkey sausage.  That is my first choice when I buy Italian sausage because it is a leaner choice.  Unfortunately, my grocery store didn't have Italian Turkey sausage in stock so I did make this recipe using Hot Italian Pork sausage.  Feel free to use whichever type of Italian sausage you prefer. 

9 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

This would be something I would really enjoy serving around my table Jamie:D

Grumpy & HoneyB said...

If I had sausage in my freezer I would be making this tonight! Looks yummy!

My shrimp was freezer burnt BAD (teach me to buy it that way again!) and I couldn't make the meal I had planned!

Bridgett said...

This is my husbands favorite pasta. Yours looks mouthwatering and is making me even more hungry! Great recipe.

Aggie said...

oh....my favorite way to eat pasta! I love sausage and fresh tomato sauce, look so delicious Jamie!!

Patsyk said...

I've been eyeing this recipe... it looks like it is one worth making for the family! I like that it can be doubled and the spice adjusted as my kids are not fans of the extra heat.

Kathleen said...

This sounds marvelous. I love turkey sausage!

Laura in Paris said...

I love pasta!

Grumpy & HoneyB said...

I made this tonight Jamie, and it was a great, quick meal!

Brenda The Healthy Lunch Recipes Girl said...

This recipe really opened my eyes to making spaghetti a whole new way. I would of never thought about using sausage instead of meatballs. Thank you for posting this now I have more projects to try in my kitchen :)
-Brenda

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs