Monday, November 1, 2010

Barbecue Sirloin and Blue Cheese Salad.......The Kids Cook Monday!

Barbecue Sirloin and Blue Cheese Salad

My girls helped me in the kitchen last night before they went out trick or treating for Halloween.  This was a quick meal to put together and it was delicious.  The spice rub was perfect on the steak.  If you're a fan of blue cheese, you will love the combination of the cheese with the beef.  If your kids don't like Blue Cheese (like mine), just don't include it on their plate.  The salad dressing uses a few ingredients and it was light and refreshing.  This was a very good salad entree meal that my family will make again.  For other family meal tips, check out The Kids Cook Monday website.   




Barbecue Sirloin and Blue Cheese Salad

Yield: 4 servings
(serving size: about 1 1/2 cups salad, 3 ounces steak, and 2 tablespoons cheese)

Ingredients

2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 pound lean sirloin steak, trimmed
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 cups torn Bibb lettuce ( I used 1 bag of pre-packaged Sweet Butter lettuce mix)
3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled cucumber
1 cup red bell pepper strips ( I used a green bell pepper - that's what I had in my fridge)
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese


Preparation

1. Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; rub evenly over both sides of steak.

2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes. Turn steak over; cook 4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut across grain into thin slices.

3. Combine vinegar, mustard, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk. Combine lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, and shallots in a large bowl. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad; toss gently to coat. Top salad with steak and cheese.

Note:  I did add a little more oil to my salad dressing based on my taste.  Adjust how much oil you use based on how you like the taste of your salad dressing.






Marissa read the recipe on her own and mixed up the steak spice rub...... 


.......and rubbed the spice mixture on both sides of the sirloin.  Marissa also mixed up the salad dressing and Mariah helped me cut the vegetables for the salad.

Barbecue Sirloin

My husband, Mike, grilled the steak and cut it in thin slices.  The rub on the steak was delicious and it's one I will use again.


Sirloin Salad

Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  All-in-one meals like this are a great way to get your lean protein and vegetables all in one plate.  You can take your favorite grilled beef, chicken or shrimp and add it to a salad with your favorite vegetables.  Try a light and flavorful vinaigrette like this one to complete the taste.   



Teenage Zombies!

Hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween!

4 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Cute costumes! I think mu husband would even love this more than my kids!

Patsyk said...

That is one of my favorite flavor combinations!

Hope the girls had fun trick-or-treating!

Lisa said...

What a great salad that could be dinner itself. Sounds delicious. By the way, I'm having a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

Aggie said...

Those girls are funny! I mean...scary. :)

That steak salad looks great, Larry would be all over this! I love blue cheese! On everything!!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs