Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn


Welcome to October....can you believe it? This is one of my favorite months.  The weather is getting cooler, there's a briskness in the air, cooking my favorite fall foods like soups and stews, fall baking, getting ready for the upcoming holidays.  The first one is Halloween.  We always decorate our front yard for Halloween.  I love sitting on my front porch and giving out candy to all the kids.  


Do you like to have adult Halloween parties?  Here is a Halloween inspired menu from the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club.  This month's theme focuses on Halloween....the spooky, orange or black.  


I made this "Devilishly Devine Peanut Butter Caramel Corn" which is in the October issue of Cooking Light Magazine.  Making caramel corn is so easy and so addicting to eat.  This one is a little different with the peanut butter and almonds but definitely a yummy treat.  A great little party snack.  


Click here for the original recipe on Myrecipes.com


Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients

Cooking Spray
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 regular-size bags of microwave popcorn, popped
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Spray a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray (better idea would be to use parchment paper and spray the paper with cooking spray)
3. Microwave popcorn according to package instructions.
4. Place popped popcorn in large bowl or pot.  Add almonds.
5. Combine sugar, syrup, butter and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occassionally. Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and vanilla.  Stir until smooth.  
6.  Spread popcorn with almonds on a large baking sheet.  Drizzle peanut butter mixture over popcorn and toss well.  
7.  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Cool before breaking apart and placing in sealed container.  


Note:  Everytime you stir the popcorn, more pieces will be coated and the caramel will get harder.

(Print here for recipe)


The rest of our Spooky Halloween Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club menu is below.  Click on their links for more recipe details. 

Mary Ann (Meet Me in the Kitchen) - Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas
Sandi (Whistlestop Cafe Cooking) - Devilish Eggs (Deviled Eggs w/Smoked Salmon and Herbs)
Val (More Than Burnt Toast) - Roasted Squash Soup with Turkey Croquettes
Jerry (Jerry's Thoughts, Musings, and Rants) - Dracula's Revenge (Baked Penne with Sausage and Garlic)
Roz (La Bella Vita) - Chocolate Spiderweb Cookies



This popcorn keeps well in a plastic container.  Great for opening up and grabbing a handful.  And another.  And another.




Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  I did not use parchment paper on my baking sheet.  I sprayed it with cooking spray.  My popcorn did stick some when finished baking.  I just used a spatula to get most of the popcorn off the pan.  If I would have used parchment paper, I'm sure it would not have stuck as much on the pan.  The lesson.....use parchment paper.


5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Love the twist with the peanut butter Jamie. I could devour an entire bowl of this in one seating.

Mary Ann said...

This looks absolutely fabulous. I was really tempted to make it when I saw it in the October issue. After your review, I think I'm convinced!

Patsyk said...

It would be hard to stop nibbling on that pb caramel corn!

Anonymous said...

Oh oh - this would not last long at all in my house. No doubt we'd eat it all in one sitting. LOL What a great looking Hallowe'en treat.

Anonymous said...

This is such a creative snack idea! I love that its something different than the norm and that it’s probably a good source of fiber. I’m always on the look out for good tasting, fiber-rich foods to add to my day.You know more about the Caramel Popcorn visit at Caramel Popcorn

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs