Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cracked Sugar Cookies........12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies: Week 12


I had to include a sugar cookie on my last recipe for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies.  As much as I love cut out sugar cookies, it is very time consuming.  So, I went with an easy drop sugar cookie with a unique cracked top.  A little crunchy with a light sugary coating on the outside makes for a really good sugar cookie. 

Cracked Sugar Cookies
Recipe slightly adapted from Allrecipes & Savory Sweet Life

Yield: 24 cookies

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Turbinado (coarse) sugar or granulated sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets or use parchment paper.

2. Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.

3. Add flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Stir.

4. Form dough into walnut size balls and roll in sugar of choice.  Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Don't flatten. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are cracked and just turning color.  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before moving to a cooling rack.  

Note:  I rolled half the sugar cookie dough in coarse sugar and the other half in granulated sugar.  The ones with the coarse sugar had a little extra crunch to them.




It's been alot of fun participating in these cookie posts the last 12 weeks.  With the linky blog hop attached each week, I now have a ton of cookie recipes to try.  And so do you!  Check out the other cookies/treats I made the last 12 weeks:

Cracked Sugar Cookies



Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club LessonGift/Packaging Idea - These cookies are for Santa.  So, place on a cookie plate and leave out with a tall glass of milk.  Merry Christmas everyone!

6 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I am baking every day until Christmas. We are trying different cookies. This one looks good.

Patsyk said...

I love sugar cookies, but hate rolling them out, too... these look like the perfect solution! Yum!

Jenny said...

LOVE these cracked sugar cookies! wonderful!

Shelby said...

Your cookies look awesome Jamie! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

ann said...

All your cookies look fantastic. I'll have to try this cookie recipe!

Anonymous said...

I just made these wonderful cookies
& they didn't even last 30 minutes. My family
LOVED them. I'm a beginner baker and these
were really easy to make. I will for sure be
making more! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
These are a must try!! :)

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs