Friday, October 8, 2010

12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies......Lime Meltaways

Lime Meltaways

Happy Friday everyone!  It's week 2 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies!  I have a lime cookie today that might add a little Florida sunshine to your cookie plates this year.  Citrus always reminds me of Florida and well since I'm from Florida, I thought these would give you a reminder of summer and warmer weather when the cold of December hits. 

I first saw these cookies on Barbara Bakes last year and I've made them several times since.  They are refrigerator cookies which means you make the cookie dough, roll them into logs wrapped in parchment paper, chill in refrigerator for a short time, then slice & bake.  Perfect for making the dough ahead of time and baking them later or baking a few at a time.  You can also freeze the dough logs for up to 2 months.

These lime butter cookies are wonderful.  The lime zest and lime juice give it the right amount of citrus flavor.  They are small, which is good, but you won't be able to stop eating them and that could be bad.  I hope you enjoy these cookies and the sunshine that comes with them.

Check out the links at the end of this post with the other cookie participates.  Keep checking back because the linky list grows daily for the week.




Lime Meltaways
Recipe by Martha Stewart

3 dozen cookies

3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt


Directions

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment (I used my regular paddle attachment), cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Divide dough in half.  Place each half on a separate 8 by 12 inch piece of parchment paper, roll dough into 1 1/4-inch diameter logs. Chill at least one hour.

4. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. (I placed in bowl)  Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch thick rounds. (I sliced them more like a 1/4 inch) Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. (I put powdered sugar in a bowl and added baked cookies to coat)  Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


Lime Cookies

Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club LessonGift/Packaging Idea - Here's a fun gift basket you can put together.....Get a basket or Christmas basket and fill it with shredded gift paper for baskets.  How about Lime Green basket filler?  Put limes (at least 2) in basket along with a Microplane Zester.  You can get one with a red handle for Christmas or I've seen ones with Lime Green handles.  Put some cookies in a holiday treat bag and place in basket along with recipe card.  Give to some favorite people in your life!


17 comments:

April said...

I have made these once before and thought they were perfect! I love your gift basket idea as well!!

Sue said...

I can tell by looking at these that they DO melt in your mouth! YUM!

Pam said...

These made my mouth water! Love the tip at the end too - very neat!

Lisa said...

I've made these before too and they are delicious. Love the gift packaging idea. Wish someone would gift me with something like that.

Tracy said...

Oh yum! Loving these!

Mary Ann said...

I love these cookies. I've made them so many times. They look so delicious. Seeing them again makes me want to whip up a batch!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, I can't believe Xmas is so close! Love the basket idea and cookies!

Anonymous said...

this sounds refreshing, like eating a lemonade!

Megan said...

Those are awesome cookies - I always think of them when I have lime laying around the house.

Katrina said...

Mmm, lime! Love that kind of cookie.

Wende said...

These look great and would be a fabulous addition to gift baskets. Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

I love meltaways of any kind. Such a pretty and delicate cookie for Christmas and anytime.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

There's nothing better than a meltaway! MMM!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

looks awesome and stumbling away for sure on this one!~

Jenny said...

These look fantastic! Can practically taste them!

Melynda said...

I am adding these to my list to make!

Shelby said...

I'm sure I would LOVE these! I am a fan of anything with lime and these meltaway type cookes are awesome!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs