Friday, October 22, 2010

Melting Moments.......Week 4 of The 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies

Melting Moments

I'm back to share another cookie recipe for the 4th week of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies.  This week I have some wonderful butter cookies called Melting Moments.  They really do melt in your mouth.  They are buttery, delicate and not too sweet.  Perfect with a cup of tea.

What I love about these cookies is that they only have 6 ingredients.  Everyday ingredients that are usually stocked in your kitchen.  Another great cookie for my cookie tray this year.  


Melting Moments
Recipe by Joy of Baking

Yield:  3 Dozen Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Topping

1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar, sifted

Directions

In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least one hour or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

When dough is firm, form into 1 inch balls and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake for about 12 - 14 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, line another baking pan or tray with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle about half of the confectioners (powdered) sugar onto the bottom of the pan and then place the slightly cooled cookies on top of the sugar. Put the remaining sugar in a fine strainer or sieve and then sprinkle the tops of the cookies (or you can just roll the cookies in the sugar).  I like the look of dusting the powdered sugar on the cookies by using a fine strainer.  It gives it that light, snowy look.  

Place in an airtight container between sheets of wax paper and they will keep a couple of weeks.


Last week there were over 50 links to the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies.  I love all the other recipes that are being shared.  I'm getting so many great recipes and ideas.  Check out this week's blog hop link at the bottom of my post.  And keep checking back as more recipes are added in.


Gift Packaging

I found this white container at Michaels.  I added in some blue tissue paper and my daughters decorated it with felt snowflake stickers.



I also found these recipe cards at Michaels in the $1 bin.  Twenty cards per pack for a dollar per pack.  What a great deal and cute too!


Melting Moments in Box

This is just for demonstration purposes.  Of course the recipe card would be filled out with the recipe on it. 

Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  Since these cookies remind me of snow and melting snow, I wanted to keep with the snowflake theme.  Place cookies in white box (like above) or white tin lined with blue or white tissue paper.  Decorate with snowflake stickers and include recipe card.


18 comments:

April said...

These sound simple and delicious!

Tracy said...

Love the look of these; so simple and delicious!

Anonymous said...

My mother in law bakes them and now I have the recipe, too. Thanks!

Megan said...

These are one (of many) of my favorite cookies! Very cute packaging!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! Your cookies look amazing! Russian Tea Cake cookies are my absolute favorite Christmas cookie but these look even better (because they don't have the nuts in them.) I can't wait to try these!!!

Lisa said...

I love cookies that melt in my mouth. Your gift wrap idea is so pretty. Anyone would smile to receive that package.

Manu said...

Great idea! I just love the package!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom, I always wanted to bake something that looked like this to find out what it tastes like. Providing me with the recipe gives me a chance. Thanks.

Tracy said...

These look so simple and delicate! A perfect addition to our cookie trays. :-)

Melynda said...

I love simple cookies that are delicious!

Sue said...

These cookies do look like they would melt in your mouth...YUM! I love the packaging that keeps with the snow theme...such a great idea!

Lee Ann said...

I'm a sucker for any kinda cookie like this...butter... powdered sugar...yum! Oh, and the box is adorable..I see a trip to Michael's in my future.

Mickey said...

These sound perfect! I am adding them to my list!
Thanks,
mickey

Steph said...

Not only does this look so easy to make, but the box and recipe card idea are fantastic!!!

I started a baking meme last week and would love for you to link up! :)

http://bit.ly/dsiHvw

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so impressed you're already getting the packaging for your delicious cookies. What a cute idea!

alice said...

There's nothing like a really simple recipe with few basic ingredients. These look absolutely divine. Hope everyone enjoyed them!

Aggie said...

I'm loving all your packaging ideas Jamie! You are getting me in the spirit! I can just imagine how these cookies taste...mmmm.

Unknown said...

Help!
I have followed the recipe and stuffed up somewhere. My cookies have "melted" in the oven and are less than 2mm thick. Have I not put enough flour in?

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs