Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Build your own taco salad


We have had many "taco nights" but I wanted to do something different so I came up with this taco salad.  You start with a base of lettuce ( I used romaine and iceberg), serve it with seasoned hamburger meat and a bunch of different add-ins to make your own special taco salad.  This was a big hit with my family.  My husband and 2 daughters (and me too) loved it.  So turn your taco night into taco salad night! 

I adapted a taco seasoning recipe I found on Allrecipes.com.  I used this to season the hamburger meat instead of buying the packet of taco seasoning.  It was quick to put together and I liked the fact I knew exactly what ingredients were going into the mix.

Taco Seasoning
Slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com

Makes 1 ounce

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
 
To make seasoned hamburger meat:
 
Brown 1 - 1.25 pounds of lean ground beef in skillet.  Sprinkle the taco seasoning mix over the ground beef and add 2/3 cup water.  Stir well.  ( I used all the taco seasoning for about 1.25 pounds of meat )  Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.  
 
Add-ins for your taco salad:
 
Tomatoes
Black Beans
Diced Avocado
Corn ( I grilled corn on the cob to give it that charred smokey flavor...so good)
Blue Corn or regular Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cheese ( I used Cheddar but use your favorite)
Salsa


To build the taco salad:

Place lettuce on plate or a salad bowl.  Add seasoned ground beef and your chosen "extras".  Top with your favorite ranch salad dressing.  Eat!


Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  The seasoned hamburger meat is on the spicy side but it cools down some when mixed with the other ingredients. Adjust the spices (less chili powder, cayenne pepper and black pepper) based on your family's taste.  

8 comments:

Jenny said...

One of my very favorite things to eat for dinner! I just never get tired of it :) Beautiful recipe!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We love taco salad. I sometimes make it meatless too by using beans instead.

La Bella Cooks said...

What a great idea to change up the usual taco night. I love the spice mixture instead of using the packet as I also wonder what is in the packaged ones. I love this salad!

Aggie said...

What a great way to change it up Jamie! I love love love taco salads...but the ones I order out have a ridiculous amount of calories and fat, go figure. This one looks so fresh and full of good stuff. Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

that looks wonderful...I love taco salad

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love this anytime for lunch or dinner, taco salad is awesome yours looks fabulous!

Shelby said...

Sounds like a perfect evening meal!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this recipe. It's impossible to have too many recipes for tacos. I am new to your blog so I spent some time reading your earlier posts. I really like your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs