Sunday, August 23, 2009

Italian Meatloaf

Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods. I love trying meatloaf recipes for different flavors and variety. Well, this is one meatloaf recipe that will be making a repeat performance. My, was it good. I made two changes to the recipe. I used ground round instead of lean ground beef. The ground round was on sale and sometimes being economical is more important to me. I also used 2 whole eggs instead of just the egg whites that the recipe called for. Again, I didn't want to waste the eggs plus I think it gave it a good flavor. Pair it up with some mashed potatoes and vegetables and your family will enjoy a homey, comfy, satisfying dinner.



Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson: Some meatloaf history......Meatloaf has European origins since the 5th century. Recipes for meatloaf began to appear in American cookbooks in the 1880's but became more popular during the Great Depression when families had to stretch their food budget. In 2007, Good Housekeeping conducted a poll and meatloaf was the 7th most popular American dish. How popular is meatloaf in your family?

6 comments:

Aggie said...

I love meatloaf but for some reason don't make it enough! This sounds great! Leftover sandwiches are my favorite!

Laura in Paris said...

Not very popular. In France they do not do meatloaf at all. The most common dish that helps recylcle beef leftovers (and that is made now from ground beef) is Hachis Parmentier (ground beef and mashed potatoes). Your meat loaf looks delicious.

Jamie said...

Boy does this look so much better then the bland, dried out meatloaf I grew up with! Yummy! And served up with mashed potatoes it is indeed comfort food!

(I just noticed comment left by A World in a PAN and she's right about meatloaf in France. My French husband cringes when he hears the word meatloaf. Maybe he should try yours!)

Shelby said...

Grumpy just told me that he knows I like to experiment but he wishes I would stay with one recipe when we find one he likes. lol. I have such a hard time doing that! I don't think I have found a meatloaf recipe yet that makes him 100 percent happy. This one looks great so we will try this one next!

I love meatloaf sandwiches with leftovers!

Barbara Bakes said...

I haven't made meatloaf for a long while. I'll have to give this a try!

Kathleen said...

Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods as well. Yours looks delish!! Check out my version if you get a chance.

http://gonnawantseconds.blogspot.com/search/label/Meatloaf

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs