Monday, October 4, 2010

The Kids Cook Monday with Oatmeal Pancakes

DSC04611

When I told my girls I was making Oatmeal Pancakes for this week's Kids Cook Monday dish, I got the look.  You know.  The "ewwww, yucky" look.  My daughters don't like cooked oatmeal.  Well, that doesn't stop me from making things they don't like.  I still do because I know how quickly their tastes can change.

These pancakes were a different change from my normal buttermilk pancakes that I make.  But they were a good change.  They were very good, hearty and filling.  Everyone really liked them except Mariah.  She's a textural eater and doesn't like oatmeal but she did eat 1/2 of one.  I give her credit for trying something new.  

I found this recipe on the blog, Smitten Kitchen.   


Oatmeal Pancakes
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
3/4 cup oat flour (you can buy oat flour but to save money I put 1 cup of old fashioned oats in my mini food processor and pulsed it until finely ground.  I then measured out 3/4 cup)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon Kosher or coarse salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (plus extra for the pan)
1 1/4 cups milk (I used 1% milk)
1 cup cooked oatmeal (I used Quaker Oats-Old Fashioned and followed instructions on package)
1 tablespoon honey
2 large eggs

Directions

Whisk the dry ingredients (oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the butter, milk, cooked oatmeal, honey and eggs until thoroughly combined. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Heat a 10-inch cast-iron pan or griddle over medium heat.  Melt about 1 tablespoon butter in the pan. Scoop about 1/4-cup of batter onto the pan, 2 or 3 at a time. Once bubbles have begun to form on the top side of the pancake, flip the pancake and cook until the bottom is dark golden-brown, about 5 minutes total. Melt a small amount of butter in pan between batches.  Continue making pancakes with the remaining batter.  Serve and enjoy with your favorite syrup!


"The Kids Cook Monday is an initiative of the Monday Campaigns, a nonprofit organization that seeks to make Monday the day to start and sustain healthy behaviors."  Check out their website for a downloadable toolkit that will help you and your family cook and eat together every Monday.  It can be Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. Enjoy your time cooking together and eating together. 



Marissa helped me in the kitchen today.  


Oatmeal Pancakes

Making these pancakes in my cast iron skillet really gave them crispy edges which was delicious.

Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  Oatmeal has many health benefits and doesn't have to be just in a bowl for breakfast.  Have a breakfast night for dinner and try these better for you pancakes.  Add some fruit on the side for even more health benefits.    

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Mmmm! There is nothing better than pancakes with the family! Great post, great recipe!

Mary Ann said...

I have made these lots of times and I think they are so delicious. Yours look fabulous. How fun to have your kids in the kitchen helping you out!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is a perfect way to start the day with a healthy breakfast Jamie!!!!The girls are adorable making their pancakes.

Barbara Bakes said...

We love having breakfast for dinner nights. Love the addition of oatmeal to make it healthier.

Aggie said...

I missed a bunch of your older posts...this must have been when I was away. I love how these pancakes turned out in your cast iron skillet, look at the crisp edges, LOVE that! I love oatmeal anything. I haven't tried this recipe yet, thanks for sharing. Good tip about the oat flour.

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs